Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Kona at last

After almost a day of sitting in airports, automobiles and cramped airline seats we finally arrived in Hawaii last night and I cant convey how good it feels to be here. It has been a long time since last Sept when I initially qualified for the race at Ironman Wisconsin. Being here after an already great season of racing is, for me, the cherry that tops my sundae. Of course I am not taking the race lightly and have done all I can to get myself ready for what is the greatest test an Ironman can face.

To be here racing this time (I have been here during the race 3 other times) seems almost surreal. I appreciate the level of stress one feels when arriving and can understand why I see so many people on Alii drive running WAY faster than they should be. It is the check and re-check of the body systems so you don't lay in bed at night wondering if you are actually ready. I am not going to follow suit by sprinting up and down the hills on Alii trying to show the other competitors how fit I am but it will be tempting.

Today was just an easy swim and some last minute shopping for the necessary supplies that one inevitably forgets to pack. A short bike ride and 15-20 min run this afternoon and then off to Splash and Dash to watch my young friend Molly start what will assuredly be a long career in Triathlon. Watch out ladies 10 years from now she will be a force to be reckoned with. At the tender age of 5 she is already a fierce competitor. Good Luck Molls!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck this weekend...and have fun too! Are there any live web broadcasts of the race??

    ReplyDelete