Thursday, December 18, 2008

Back on my feet again...

I ran for the first time in a few weeks today. Note- I haven't been slacking it has been either extremely cold or the snow makes it less than safe to venture out for a run. Today for the first time all week it was above 20 degrees and the sun was shining bright so I had to do it. A friend of mine gave me a pair of shoe covers with the little spikes on the bottom so I strapped those babies on and headed out. It felt great. I wasn't breaking any speed records but just being out there pounding the pavement again was enough for me. There is just something about getting outside for a good run that puts me in a good mood. There is almost nothing else like it. I guess I was missing the 'runners high.' Then about half way through I noticed the shoe covers worked their way sideways on my feet and right then my ankle went over. Luckily I was looking down and was able to react without it folding in half and sidelining me for a few weeks. I will blame the shoe covers and not the weak ankles and poor proprioception.

The forecast is for 12 inches of snow tonight so it looks like I got my only outdoor run in for a while. After spending most of last winter eating, sleeping, and breathing treadmills I was hoping to get a break from them for a while but I am starting to think my wishes have fallen on deaf ears. I guess it is better than a sprained ankle.

No comments:

Post a Comment